Be Still My Heart

I love shelter magazines. Like my children, I don't really have a favorite. Each one offers me something different. Some days they delight; some days they disappoint, but I always appreciate their individuality.

Just like one of my boys saying "please" and "thank you", House and Garden always catches me off guard with their still life covers. As I pull the as-yet-unknown book out of the mail slot, eagerly awaiting the unveiling, a gasp of delight if the cover is a still life.


August '05, James Merrell, photographer
I only wished I had saved them all.


September '05, James Merrell, photographer

For me, it's like looking through the key-hole into the issue. A tease. Just a bit of camisole showing.



July '06, Christopher Baker, photographer
And while these images may appear in the actual article, it doesn't spoil it for me the way it does sometimes when a room is on the cover.



March '07, Beatriz Da Costa, Photographer
Each and every one is a study in color and balance and detail.

The latest, September '07, Beatriz Da Costa, photographer
It's such a nice opportunity to stop and focus on the small picture. We could all use a little more "still life."

Labels: