Through the Looking Glass


On the outside looking in.


All of us are familiar with retail therapy. I practice a little myself, although I don't always need to make a purchase for it to be a success.


Tramp art frame - there were a few as of last week. I think this is the best, but I love hearts.

Type A, high-strung, over-thinker - what ever you want to call it - it takes its toll.



So, if your engine tends to run a little high, should you seek your solace in the land of florescent lights and hip-hop music? I think not. I go to see Christopher.


A little Hermes-ish table, anyone?





Each of these marble lamps is one of a pair. Both gorgeous.


Christopher Filley used to intimidate me, and I don't think I'm alone in that, nor do I think it's entirely unintentional. I might have quipped about genius in the past, but this is the real deal.



A few of the tables were piled high with these gears - they would make great, graphic impact on a table or wall.



Christopher tells me this was made to tranport tea - wood, not ceramic, it would be perfect for a table, but perhaps not sturdy enough for a stool.
Christopher Filley Antiques is cool in vibe and in climate. The bell on the door rings as you enter, and as soon as your shoe hits the terrazzo it's clear that you are someplace special.

This is beaded and folds over the rod that is holding it so it's actually a few feet larger than it appears here.



His pieces are both classic and relevant. He doesn't follow trends, but always seems to have just the thing.



Also one of a pair - stunning in just the right spot.


Christopher usually has an excellent selection of architectural salvage, some piled on the street outside his shop in Seussical fashion. I've purchased many lanterns from him; he was an excellent source even before the current craze. I loathe the thought that people are buying from big box retailers and thinking it's the "same thing."



Obelisks, mercury glass, shells, bugs, bone. It's wonderland, and while it makes my heart race a bit, it's not stress or fret, it's pure joy.


Apparently, there is no need of technology in wonderland; if you see something you like, call Christopher at 816/561-1124 .

Labels: