Tuesday, October 2, 2007

By George!

Painted chest, Northern Maine, 19th c.

I think I've mentioned before that I work in an antique shop twice a week. George Terbovich is legend here "in town." Mr. Terbovich has clients nation-wide, but offices out of this charming little strip of shops in one of our older neighborhoods.

Papier mache topiaries, French, circa 1880

Last December one of the tenants left Crestwood, where George works his magic, so he placed some antiques in the spot so the space would not be empty for the holidays. Guess what? They started to sell.

Pine side table, Maine, 19th c.

George's eye is infallible and his nature sublime.

Iron urn, Virginia, 18th c.

No prima donna here, I've never seen him be anything other than gracious and kind. And funny. And I'm not just saying that because he's my boss.

George V leather arm chair, English, 19th c.

George has a lifestyle store in the front of his design studio. I stopped in last February to buy a dog ball and end up with a job.



Yellow pine cupboard, English, 19th c. and vintage French faux bois planters

It wasn't really my intent to get into retail, but these pieces spoke to me.


Carved oak Italian mirror, early 18th c.

In the meantime, I've gotten to work with a lovely group of people.


One of a pair, Hepplewhite chairs

Sometimes you just have to step off the ledge - whether it's a boxer puppy, a light-up ball to tire her out or a little part-time job that makes your heart sing.


12 comments:

halcyondays said...

That washed dresser is fantastic. Very Swedish in flavor. I love it.

Habitually Chic said...

It's not work if you enjoy it! What a fun sounding place!

Style Court said...

I love the leather chair!

Kathleen said...

Your blog is wonderful.

Thanks!

Things That Inspire said...

I love the painted dresser...and I did not know that you worked in an antique store a few days a week!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Kathleen - thank you! Come back!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Courtney - it's comfortable, too, believe it or not. Don't you think at some point someone said, "Honey, please it's so tattered.." and then it moved right on through to fabulous.

The Peak of Chic said...

What a fun place in which to work (or should I say play????)

ML said...

Do you know if Mr. Terbovich is hiring? I fell in love with his store when I visited last year and now that I'm back in Kansas City and looking for a job it seems like the perfect place to work.

P.S. Your blog is really great; all the images you collect and compile are lovely!

Mrs. Blandings said...

ml - stop in the Gallery on the center of the block and talk to Connie - she runs the show.

katiedid said...

Oh you lucky duck! What a great shop!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What a great way to gain employment!