"I'd like yellow."


"Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong!" Myrna Loy as Mrs. Blandings, 1948

If you were around for the first post you might remember this snippet of Mrs. Blandings's soliloquy on the colors of her dream house. There is nothing trickier in design than one human being trying to describe a color to another. As the crazy swatches went up I was saying to my patient painters, "Well, this one, but a little warmer." or "I like this, but it's too bright, but I don't want it whiter." And, like Mr. PeDelford, they would gravely nod as though they were listening and say, "Mrs. Blandings, we need a color by Friday." Or Monday. Or whatever false deadline they thought they could use to make me just plain decide.

So the home brew paid off and the color is, indeed, gay. Something bright and sunshine-y. A pound of the very best.

Labels: