River Market Antique Mall

One of the great things about my Spaces gig, is that I get paid for something I was doing anyway.  Under "hobbies" I should be listing "Haunting antique shops and not buying anything."  A really great spot for this is River Market Antique Mall.  These three floors of warehouse space in a neighborhood with legendary "alleged" mafia ties (now a super spot filled with lofts and restaurants) are chocked full of stuff.  Some great, some junky, always reasonable.  Like the four Heyward Wakefield chairs, above, for $375.

Or these vintage sea creature prints for $20 a piece.

Really, really great, huh?

Russell Wright pitcher for $35.

Adorable, no?
Look, the work is already done for you - $35 a piece.

The place is full of character.  I don't think you need to be worried that the floors are patched with odd pieces of metal.  I don't think you do.  I don't.

There are some booths I just like the look of every time I'm there.  

I keep going back to one dealer who had this great "Eames era" planter which was basically a metal cone that set in a tripod base.  Which would have made the most amazing outdoor cooler for wine.  Ok, here's the punch line.  It was $85 and I just thought it was a smidge too high.  I know, sometimes you make a bad call.  I even went back again and it was there.  Didn't buy it.  A week later when I couldn't stop thinking about it I went back.  Gone.

So now I go back to the same booth every time.  Do I really think it's possible that he'll have another one?  No.  But he might.

There is a lot of stuff to weed through and it's best not to go in a hurry.

But treasures abound if you are patient.

Like me.  This last trip I found a copy of Billy Baldwin Remembers for $12.  It almost takes the sting out of missing the planter.  Almost.

Labels: