What's Up with the Pups?

A few weeks ago, my friend Patricia van Essche forwarded the image of the pin above and queried, "Is this Rosie?"  She had stumbled upon this stick pin at Paris Hotel Boutique.  The yellow collar also seemed fit for the dream house.

A week or so later I had a chance encounter with a lovely, lovely woman here in Kansas City.  Blonde and elegant, clad in crisp white blouse, I could not help but notice the fabulous pin at her throat.  A large oval dog portrait of a once beloved spaniel, nearly two inches from top to bottom, beautifully set and encircled with seed pearls.  My muse gave me a poke.

Pointer, Paris Hotel Boutique

So off I went on-line to see what I could see.  Portrait jewelry, be it animals or people, was very popular with the Victorians.

Bullmastiff, Nelson and Nelson

I found a good selection of enamel and Essex Crystal jewelry.  The Essex Crystal pieces were sculpted into a dome on one side, carved out to create the portrait on the back, then painted in reverse.

Most of the settings I uncovered were simple pins or stick pins, but the Pinscher, above, is encircled by his lead.  

Pit Bull Terrier, ebay

The pricing seemed to range quite a bit from very dear to whim-worthy.

Boston Terrier charm, ebay

But who doesn't have someone on their list who's mad for his or her dog?

Be it his noble hunter?

Or her rascally twins?

Hound cufflinks, The Three Graces

And while it may not resemble your pooch exactly, you have to appreciate those sentimental Victorians.

Cairn Terrier, The Three Graces

They were not afraid to wear their heart on their sleeves.  Or lapels.

Surely, you can't look and those eyes and not bring Lassie home.

Labels: