Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goo oup o.


There is a series of books the boys love about Martha, a dog who eats alphabet soup and then is able to talk.  Delightfully drawn and cleverly written we have all enjoyed Martha.



Martha has a love of words and a low tolerance for nonsense.  Martha and I have a lot in common.

In the third installment, Granny Flo decides to eliminate half the letters in the alphabet soup severely limiting Martha's ability to communicate.  Let me assure you, every single time you read, "Goo oup o," to a five year old, he will laugh his head off.



Last night was girls' night and I hosted.  As the youngest was still (!) home from Christmas vacation (can anyone still remember Christmas?) I wimped out.  I bought the soup.  Rather than being a slight to my guests, I assure you they came out ahead, because I bought my soup from Todd, The Happy Soupmaker.


Actually Todd owns The Happy Soupeater, an organization that cooks up all-natural, all-delicious soup.  If you are within the delivery area here in Kansas City, he'll bring it right to your door each and every Saturday.   No Soup Nazi this guy.  He was having so much fun making soup he opened his own restaurant, Happy Gillis.  A great joint for lunch with a friend or to pick up something terrific and take it with.

To top it off, I bought cookies.  Ok, ok, total slacker, I know.  But, again, everyone wins.  Boulevard Bakery cookies.  These aren't those cookies that just look good but taste like sawdust.  They're amazing.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  Again, just for the locals.  They don't ship and they don't take plastic, but they are worth the trip.

As for Martha, she convinces Granny Flo of the importance of putting all the letters back in the soup.  "Good soup is your business."  Just like Todd's.

By the way, I can make the Wizard of Oz reference.  You can't.  Martha Blah Blah and the other Martha books written and illustrated by Susan Meddaugh.

24 comments:

bevglen said...

I have to meet Martha myself and introduce her to the young ones in the family - or maybe, like I did with THE STINKY CHEESE MAN, keep her for myself. I'll tell them about it. The illustrations have that breezy Bemelmans quality as, incidentally, so do the perfectly appropriate and very charming illustrations decorating your blog.And I wish I could send for the soup and cookies!

David said...

I have always wanted to go to Happy Gillis for lunch. With your seal of approval I'll make that happen. I could live on good soup.

Rathna said...

Photos are very funny and very enjoyable. I love soups,can you give me few recepices of delicious soups?

beachbungalow8 said...

where is the soup place? It's so cute. and honestly, those cookies would go for about 10.00 a piece out here. the labor!

KO said...

Martha sounds delightful.

This reminds me of the wonderful graphic novel, 'The Rabbi's Cat' by Joann Sfar.

In Algeria in the 1930s, a cat belonging to a widowed rabbi and his beautiful daughter, Zlabya, eats the family parrot and gains the ability to speak. To his master's consternation, the cat immediately begins to tell lies (the first being that he didn't eat the parrot).

The rabbi vows to educate him in the ways of the Torah, while the cat insists on studying the Kabbalah and having a Bar Mitzvah. They consult the rabbi's rabbi, who maintains that a cat can't be Jewish - but the cat, as always, knows better.

Adventures ensue.

You can see the cover of 'The Rabbi's Cat' here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joann_Sfar

Topsy Turvy said...

Love the Martha illustrations ... I could eat soup every day too.

-Lana

pve design said...

Always something tasty here, even if it is out of the box or can.

Martha said...

I'll have to go to the bakery next time I'm in the city -- I love those cookies!

Debra said...

Hey- we take help when we feel the need. Nothing wrong with having a chef for the night!
I wish I lived near by- I make a lot of soup... especially during the winter months- but I am not apposed to letting someone else 'stir the pot'. Good for you. Why spend time in the kitchen when you could be enjoying the ladies?

Dianne said...

This was charming. I can hear that 5 year old laughing.
Mrs. Blandings, you really are the new Dee Hardy! I was such a fan that I have saved years of her articles in a notebook...should you need a reference. LOL

Renee Finberg said...

mrs. b,

i don't have a five year old anymore , BUT MAYBE I SHOULD READ IT.

kansas city sounds like a very cool place to live.
full of 'creatives,' including YOU.

xx

MIMILEE said...

Those Cookies!!! They look DARLING and taste wonderful too??? Amazing! Hope your Girl's Night Out was fun and I know it was......Gosh, wish we had a Happy Soupeater here. What a delight that would be!

Great great Post, Mrs. B!

Mary Kay Andrews said...

Mrs. B--we have a great soup place in Atlanta--Souper Jenny. Made from scratch every day. People line up outside for that soupersimmering goodness. Y'all come!

Courtney said...

Those cookies and that book! I'm in love and sorta wishing I was a part of Girl's Night :) How fun!

marilyn @ simmer till done said...

I must check out Martha and those wonderful illustrations - but what really caught me here was the "Oz" series from Boulevard Bakery. You're right - adorable *and* delicious.

Linenqueen said...

Mrs. Blandings, I wanted to share with you a website of decorating. Mary MacDonald -
http://www.dominomag.com/galleries/2009/02/mary_mcdonald. I hope you enjoy it. I love your blog. Ann

Iheartfashion said...

My kids are crazy about Martha. It's such a great series.
And those cookies are beautiful but look like the type that wouldn't taste very good. I'll have to take your word for it.

Mrs. Blandings said...

All four books are completely charming. Run don't walk. And the cookies? They are amazing. There must be a pound of butter in each one.

David - you must. You'll love it.

Megan - Columbus Park - our own "little Italy." Are you getting my drift? Just east of River Market, just north of Independence Ave.

KO - I'm looking that up - it sounds fascinating.

Courtney - you're in anytime you want!

Style Court said...

Appreciate the book tip! Know a little boy who should love this.

3 Peanuts said...

Sounds delish! We have the Martha Blah blah blah books and have enjoyed reading with all 3 of our kiddos.

Kim

Katy said...

I just happened on your blog and was so excited to see the Boulevard Bakery. I worked there all through college and about a year after. It was quite an education for a girl from JOCO.

The cookies are just as delicious as they are beautiful. Everything is fresh and they can do just about anything. Their cakes are equally fabulous too!

a. @ coterie said...

I was a big fan of the Martha books.

Karena said...

Great soup in this weather, yea! The places you find Mrs. Blandings. When I see you out and about I always feel like I should be following along taking notes, however then you might think I am a Bloggista groupie!

northsidefour said...

Mrs B, I have three days to spend in KC in February and this soup spot is on my list. Where is it? A good soup can just make your cold and snowy day, in KC no less.

I'm going to have to go through your old posts and compile a list of my must sees while in town. Thank you! Ally