Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Recommended Reading

The same smart and charming friend who introduced me to Jessica Mitford recently gave me The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton. Completely engaging, humorous and sharp, I lingered over every word.

Then, after seeing Emily Evans Eerdmans's comments on Ronda Carman's All the Best about her recent struggle with Proust I thought I would give another of de Botton's works a try. Again, charming and engaging. A weighty subject lightly written, de Botton's words are making me want to give Proust a try. Again.

7 comments:

pve design said...

a la recherche du temps perdu-
Both of you ladies inspire me to make time for this and give this heavy a lift again.

Karena said...

This sounds like a good Book Club choice. I see you support local retailer Rainy Day Books in Fairway!

AlwaysMe said...

So many books, so little time! But what a problem to have.

GardenDesigner said...

I just found the most amazing site on the web called :
Shelfari.com
I can put all my books on a visual shelf and my recommendations! I entered over a hundred in 1/2 hour or so!..
Just thought Id share!
Thanks for the book treats! Winter is too long here in Wisconsin... it was -5 this morning, And the fireplace and a good book are going to be my salvage this afternoon!

I love reading your blog by the way.. Its like a little bit of candy Knowledge every time !!

~The Rhinestone Contessa

ALL THE BEST said...

Perhaps I should give de Botton's book a try!
Thanks!
xoxo

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

We WILL make it through Proust, Patricia - by hook, crook or de Botton! It was so fun seeing you in NY! EEE

Patricia Gray said...

Thanks for the thumbs up. I'll give this book a try.