Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rhapsody Into Spring

If you are a Wedgwood fan (as I am) and if you are in (or near) Omaha, you are in for a treat.  The Omaha Symphony Guild is hosting an event March 19th and 20th featuring Lord Piers Wedgwood.  A direct descendant of Josiah Wedgwood, the company's founder, Lord Wedgwood will be on hand both days to speak and sign, "Wedgwood Style, 3 Centuries of Distinction."  For details on the event, click here.  Proceeds from the event will benefit the Symphony's education programs.

Prunus bowl, above, reproduced in honor of Wedgwood's 250th anniversary.  By the way, prunus is a genus of tree or shrub including plums, cherries and peaches.  Frankly, I had no idea.

13 comments:

maison21 said...

i thought prunus was a toyota...

pve design said...

"Deer in the headlights" - Oh my word, that is a wonderful treat. I can hear the bees and the birds and the prunus all in harmony.

Style Court said...

Oh so lovely.

Pigtown-Design said...

There was a 300 Years of Wedgwood in Baltimore last year and it was spectacular. A lot of their usual things, but also some huge surprises.

GrannySmithGreen said...

Oh, yes! It's love!

Karena said...

Delicate pattern, I had no idea either.

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

In China, prunus is the symbol for Winter as well as for beauty as its name mei hwa literally translates.... Now we need three other bowls for the other seasons! EEE

Mrs. Blandings said...

Emily - it is so fun to have you as part of the gang. Funny and smart - and you do know things. And, yes, four would be terrific.

kkthedinger said...

Have strolled through Borsheims a couple of times while the pieces have been arriving. They are amazing! I'm on the governing board of the Omaha Symphony, so I'll be there the evening of the 19th to help greet the gathering admirers. A huge treat and a great cause...come on up!

balsamfir said...

This is the first wedgewood photo of the many I've seen lately that really gets me. Chocolate and white, ohhh.

linda said...

Oh, lovely! It reminds me of Gracie wallpaper....

Petra Voegtle said...

When I was in Great Britain for the first time in my life - 41 years ago! - I immediately fell in love with Wedgewood and bought a small black and white porcelaine casket for my Mom with those typical small figurines etc. At that time it was still affordable for a teenager's pocket money.
I have seen many colours in Wedgewood which I usually don't like besides totally white and the blacks and whites but never this brown. It looks lovely!

Rebecca Woodhead said...

It's so sad that they gone bust. I adore the company and was planning to go and visit their factory but it's all over now. So upsetting.

Rebecca