Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Horse of a Different Color


When I was in high school I worked at Swensen's Ice Cream in order to expand my Polo wardrobe. My mother was willing to provide the basics - white, blue and pink - but when it came to stripes and plaids I was on my own. I can remember standing at Connolly's, cash in hand, nearly every week. The only disappointment was, occasionally, Ralph and I did not agree on the best color for the pony. Sometimes he'd go, say, green, when I thought blue would have been better.

Enter the Ralph Lauren Custom Shop. On many items (men's, women's and kids') you can now choose the color of the pony or apply your own monogram. While I'd certainly use this myself, it seems like a terrific gift for the young fashionista who would like to show her school spirit in an understated way. (Or his. Fashionisto?) I've previewed blue and black as these were Mr. B's high school colors. The best part? Items ship in two days.

No scruples were killed in the making of this post; I have not received compensation from Ralph Lauren or anyone else. I just like his stuff.

11 comments:

Love the Home You're With said...

Don't you love when you can customize something?
I was in the Ralph Lauren Rugby store in San Francisco the other day with my daughter and they sell polo shirts that you can customize with sew on varsity letters, numbers, skulls etc. She loved it!

Karena said...

How fun to customize your Polo!Love it.

Alexis Faulkner Ceule said...

THIS is such a find! WOOOOOT! Blue and black baby! Perfect. :)

David said...

Lots of custom Ralph options in the Make Your Own section at rugby.com as well!

DoxaHome.com said...

A great find! I love the look of the driving (or perhaps riding, in this case) gloves with the polo, although am sure I would look like a complete fool wearing them around town, lol.

Best,
Jaime

Gwen Driscoll said...

Patricia,

I, too, spent my high school days working for clothes. The basics were all I was promised. I can say, with pride, I was voted Best Dressed of my senior class. I always felt my love of clothes, first, is what lead me to design.

Now, I love buying for my little girl. I'm embarassed to say I don't have the same philosophy my Mother did. I'm probably creating a fashion monster. Mother keeps saying, "Just wait until you're buying women's clothes for her. It's going to put you under the bank!"

Thanks for the great post. Love it.

Gwen
Ragland Hill Social

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

I worked at Papagallo's the clothing store...During the summer. To afford my Ralph Lauren. I still have many top's I can still wear today. Okay, I can't wear them outside...a tad bit worn. Love the idea of *having the real colors you want.*

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Patricia-

Great concept.

The key in the photos is the restyled polo: the higher arm-holes, the higher neck, the trimmed body.
It used to be more 'tennis shirt' and boxier, biggercollar, fuller sleeves, didn't it? Now looks v v chic.
Looks best, however, when not overstyled.
Black on black logo, or white on black, very chic.
I am sure you'll make it wonderful.
cheers, DIANE
www.thestylesaloniste.com

Things That Inspire said...

A teen of the 80s, I surmise? Me too. I remember one of my first polo shirts - a truly garish shade of purple, and the horse was neon green. I loved that shirt, although it certainly must have clashed with my red hair. I babysit and then eventually worked at Laura Ashley to earn my polo money.

Mélanie said...

I like this idea , so everyone has his own poney !! I loved when they made the pink poney for breast cancer ..I think

Lisa said...

I worked at Denny's to feed my Polo habit. Wanted a job at Swenson's sooo bad, (looked like so much fun!!!). Denny's offered first and my tip money fed my addiction.