Friday, December 11, 2009

Making a List

While you are doing your holiday shopping, and oddly mine seems to result in buying as much for myself as for others, keep in mind a few titles that were released this year.


In House, with photography by Derry Moore and text by Mitchell Owens, is an incredibly beautiful book of sophisticated homes from around the world. Each home has a wonderfully distinct aesthetic. If you enjoy World of Interiors, you will love this book. Or, um, someone on your list will love this book.


Style and Substance, The Best of Elle Decor by Margaret Russell includes some of the best features from their pages over the last twenty years. I had always wondered how I missed their story on Albert Hadley, then I saw the date of the issue. February of 2000. I had a new house guest - Blandings boy #2 - too busy/tired/hormonal to pick up a magazine. Now I have it here.


Chairs by Judith Miller with photography by Nick Pope. Can't say enough how much I adore these lovely portraits of the great characters of design. Any chair lover/hoarder/crazy will adore this book.


Perfect English Cottage by Ros Byram Shaw with photography by Jan Baldwin has images of home after home in that perfect mix of cozy sophistication with nary a touch of 80's over-done nonsense.


Rooms to Inspire in the Country by Annie Kelly with photography by Tim Street-Porter is a lethal one-two punch of words and pictures. Terrific projects each. This is the second in the series; look for Rooms to Inspire in the City this Spring.


Have someone on your list that cannot get enough of unapologetically pretty rooms? Pop Suzanne Kasler's Inspired Interiors into your shopping cart. Lovely.


Jacque Grange Interiors will be one of those books selling "used" at $500 when your children discover they need it. Save them the bother and pick up a copy for them now. It can wait in your library until they are ready for it.

And Wallpaper: A History of Styles and Trends by Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz. Gorgeous and informative - what else could you want? It's history, it's good for you. I mean, them.

All links here are to Amazon for your convenience, but please shop your local book dealer if you are able.

14 comments:

Karena said...

Books make the perfect gift for so many. These titles are a must!

little augury said...

You are so right to go- 1 for Me, 1 for You. It keeps you going when things get wild. Buying an extra copy is excellent- don't we all wish we had on others recently past. A book is all I want for Christmas-all great picks.

mary said...

I completely understand about "the book thing"--we all seem to be visually addicted. That Jacques Grange book is calling.........

mary said...

Nope, can't stop at one, I've got to have "Wallpaper", also. Your tree looks wonderful against the yellow.
Thanks.

erika said...

Just last week I was shopping for others and was tempted by Style and Substance... I gave in. It arrived yesterday. I put it (unwrapped) under the tree for me. Cant wait to dive into it! Hence, it will remain unwrapped.
Awesome list Mrs.B, I will be emailing this post to my Santa.

pve design said...

I have quite a few good books wrapped up for giving.
Hard to resist giving a few to my own shelf.
pve

DoxaHome.com said...

Great selections, I would love the Jacques Grange book!

Best,
Jaime

Renae said...

I have several of these on my Amazon wish list! So much great inspiration Mrs. B!

jane said...

am on my way - not waiting for the 25th of december, Thanks!
jwi

Mélanie said...

Books are a perfect gift , for kids , for parents, for friends and for me . I like to deliver a message by choosing the perfect one

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mrs. Blandings! I love you for so many reasons, but especially for your brilliant connection between the world of words and the world of design.

Frognall Dibdin said...

Wonderful suggestions as always! Logging on to Amazon right now...

Apt. #34 said...

The chairs book looks lovely, as is your blog! Cheers.

Julie said...

This post is the perfect complement to the 20 percent off Border's coupon I have waiting in my wallet ;-) Thanks for the round up!