Thursday, January 14, 2010

From Mrs. B to Rus with Love


When I last saw the Testy Tastemaker (you know me, I love a guy with a moniker) it was a chilly day in 2007 and he was reviewing the movie-going experience in L.A. Thanks to a heads-up from Decorno we reconnected on-line.


Mayer Rus, who wrote the delightfully snarky back page for HG, was one of my first guilty pleasures before there were blogs. He is now Design and Culture Editor for the LA Times Magazine (which I would love to say I never miss, but I just don't seem to be in the neighborhood) and is writing quite an entertaining blog here.

In his post today I learned that Mr. Rus and I have wildly divergent views on Tom Ford (though he is talking about his work and I am much more interested in just looking) and that he is a smidge worried about his numbers. That's what happens when you go to work for the man and have to sit in meetings and talk about "quarterly ad projections" and "branding" and "social media."

Mr. Rus promises to be posting more, so let's help him out by stopping by. I'd hate to lose him twice; he was "the one who got away."

9 comments:

Hill Country House Girl said...

I could not get the link to work, but am so pleased to learn of Mayer Rus' blog. I, too, always loved his column - in fact, House and Garden was one of several magazines I always read from the back to the front. Thanks for the heads up.

mary said...

I loved and missed Mayer Rus, also. Couldn't connected to his blog; so I went to the LA Times. He is better than ever.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Dandy said...

This link didn't work for me, but I did google around and find his blog. Thank you for pointing the way! I have missed the testy tastemaker. I went to a little symposium thing in the D & D in NYC a few years ago MR hosted. He was great. Loose and funny and snarky.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Fixed the link - thanks for the heads up!

Gwen Driscoll said...

Love it. Can't wait to check it out further. Have a great day!

Gwen Driscoll
Ragland Hill Social

La Maison Fou said...

Must go and have a look see; I am sure it will be a hoot!
Leslie

S. Adler Sobol said...

Thank you for this link. I still miss House & Garden, where I loved starting out with Dominque Browning's editorials, devouring the issue and ending with Meyer Russ. I always save dessert for last!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Splendid, thanks! The Testy Tastemaker was one of my favourites, too. I'll go say hello.

KKN said...

What a find! I will look forward to making him a regular read from now on!