Friday, February 12, 2010

The Two Day Rule


It's oh-so-likely that if you read this blog you know that Sunday is Valentine's Day.  The kind of people who hunt and peck around on the internet looking at chairs and fabric and basalt are usually fully apprised that there is a holiday nestled in the depths of winter where we celebrate romance.  Love is another thing entirely.  Sometimes, if you've been around a while, romance needs a reminder.


Dashing through Hall's to catch the last of a very good sale, a few things happened to catch my eye in the jewelry room.  No surprise.



Kansas City is a traditional town.  Perhaps you'd like your Valentine to drape a Buccellati heart pendant around your neck?


Or plant a flower brooch upon your shoulder.  (I am so going to be the brooch-on-the-shoulder matron.  I'm fighting the urge right now.)


Optimists among you (I take myself firmly out of this group) remember that there are things such as sunshine and bare arms and tans.  Ippolita's silver pieces may top your list.


Where did I linger?  What case needed to be opened for just one quick look?


Gucci.  And not for the bamboo earrings, though their cost-per-wear would eventually be pennies, or the pink gold bracelet, which was Mr. Blandings's guess.


No.  The bamboo bangle with the tassels stopped me right in my tracks.  I would go into hock for that bracelet.  Let the boys go without shoes - it's practically Spring.  Give up cable and good coffee.  Eat in every night.

Well, I might.

The lovely gentleman in the Jewel Room says two days is the outside parameter for men shopping for gifts.  Today is your day.  Valentine's Day is Sunday.  Now you have no excuse.

p.s.  I've walked by these jewelry cases a million times and never noticed them.  So chic.

24 comments:

Kerry said...

Hint, hint. I love it.

Marija said...

I never expected I'd want to visit KC quite so badly - the Halls site put me over the top. A jewel room? Perfect. As is the bamboo bangle. I have such a soft spot for bamboo and Gucci does it beautifully. Happy Valentine's Day! Marija

Kathysue said...

Make sure you leave this on your screen so your Hubby can get a realllly good hint. I love your choice it is so stylish it becomes a timeless piece. If I had to choose it would be the chain link bracelet.Loved it !! Happy Vday to you and yours,Kathysue

Town and Country Mom said...

Oh, Mrs. Blandings, that bamboo bracelet is stunning! I think I have another obsession. Happy Valentine's Day!

David said...

The gentleman at Halls is absolutely right, I'm on my way out to shop here shortly.

The bangle is fabulous, fingers crossed.

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

so witty, so true, I hope you get the bangle
have a great weekend, barbara

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I certainly can see why you would choose this...very unique ans chic indeed. I tend to run away from heart shaped jewelry, prefer my hearts to be made of paper and Elmers glue and some glitter if you're not too busy!

La Plates Blog said...

I bet my hubby has snuck off to Hall's to buy one of these treats for me...or he's down on the Plaza having a beer with friends. Happy Vday to you and all the Blandings men!

Karena said...

I totally see you wearing these! let us know what you receive.Have a romantic weekend Patricia!

Renovation Therapy said...

I want the brooch and the bit bracelet. Swoon!

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

North of 25A said...

Happy Valentine's Day from a brooch-on-the-shoulder wearing matron!

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

Love your choices, love the shagreen case, love your very witty comments. Great post and really great blog Merci.

MBM said...

Suddenly I NEED bamboo earrings & the pink gold bracelet. If only they have it in yellow gold....Ooh la la. I am in love. It is Valentine's day after all. I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

mary said...

My personal favorite--the Ippolita bracelet. Happy Valentine's Day.

BBS said...

I LOVE that bracelet and I do hope it is adorning your wrist today. It is amazing. Happy Valenine's Day.

Southern Chateau said...

Love it all. And, yep, if you saw my recent post on a handmade brooch I bought myself, then I guess I'm in the shoulder-brooch group now.

The Zhush said...

Catching up on my "blog reading", so glad I stopped by, as a bangle addict who adores tassels, trying to do the cost per wear- it- all- spring -and summer, in my head as I type...not easy!

Cote de Texas said...

if i told what i got you would die laughing. a diamond butterfly from Home Shopping Network. I swear to God. I gave it to Elisabeth, she was thrilled.

Lauren said...

i love it!! so different. i want it too. (and am sooo not getting it!)

hope to see it on your wrist!!!
xoxo

The Peak of Chic said...

That bamboo bracelet is so very you! Go for the brooch on the shoulder; you can make it look very chic, not matronly.

Sarah - La Jeune Marie said...

I need the bamboo earrings! NEED them.

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

Patricia-

All chic and classic.
KC: now I want to visit. Halls sounds like Gump's in San Francisco, which also carries selections of Booch (which my friends and I call Buccellati)...and the lovely simple pieces by Lynn Nakamura (a better version of the original Elsa Peretti).
It's all lovely. Let's know if you husb. got the hint.
cheers, DIANE
www.thestylesaloniste.com

Renae said...

Very nice eye candy! DH is away most of the time and sent me a card 2 wks ago...said so he wouldn't be late. ha Oh well...I need to take pictures I can see!

Donna said...

Ahhh, if you like this bangle you might want to visit the Shanghai Tang store the next time you are in New York.