Friday, March 11, 2011

Where for Art, Thou?


A few Kansas City art notes for the coming months.  The Bingham@200 exhibit at the Nelson-Atkins Museum opened this week. George Caleb Bingham was a renowned regional artist and this will be the first of several events celebrating his documentation of life on the plains.  The Nelson's exhibit features a selection of Bingham's drawings.


The Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art is currently running Embarrassment of Riches: Picturing Global Wealth, 2000- 2010.  Didn't feel like there was a whole lot of global wealth left the later part of the decade, but the photography exhibit will likely prove otherwise.


Enough of flat surfaces?  Stop in to the Belger Art Center to see Wendall Castle in the 21st Century.  Castle, engineer, sculptor and furniture designer, has pieces in the collections of the Nelson, the Met and the MoMA.  See more than a dozen of his designs (sculptures?) here through June 3rd.


And, looking ahead, mark your calendar for the opening of the Monet Water Lilies exhibit.  The Nelson's panel will be reunited with the two others from the triptychs beginning April 9th.  The single panel is big.  The three together should be, well, really, really big.  Tickets are required; members are free.

2 comments:

Karen @ BonjourBruxelles said...

I love the Nelson. And I would so love to *blink* be there, go to lunch and *blink* myself back.

TC said...

I remember seeing these three Water Lilies in Cleveland, one of the most memorable exhibits in my life. Seeing the triptychs together was almost overwhelming.

When I clicked on the link to the Nelson about the exhibit, I questioned my memory because the blurb said that this would be the first time the triptychs had been together "in a generation." I thought I must have misremembered because I am not that old. Upon further investigation, the exhibit I attended happened in 1979. Imagine my shock to discover that 1979 truly was a generation ago--seems like yesterday to me.

At any rate, if you live anywhere within a day's drive of the Nelson, make the trip. Like a comet, the triptychs may only appear together once a generation or so, and they are spectacular.