Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Showing Off Missouri Decorative Arts


 Friday night was busy for openings and Bill and I were happy to be out and about with creative folks.


 We started our evening at Bruce Burstert Studio on Southwest Boulevard.


Bruce has been living and tending shop in Lexington, but recently moved back and brought his wares with him.  (For those of you in the know, he is back in the Smith & Burstert space.)


To kick off the reopening of his KC shop, Bruce, along with Chadwick Brooks, curated a show of Missouri decorative arts.


Bruce is passionate about preserving our local history through locally crafted furniture.  For those of you who have had family in the area for generations, these styles and forms may look familiar.


I encourage you to stop by to see the collection.

Bruce Burstert Studio
122 Southwest Boulevard
Kansas City, MO

6 comments:

sloane simmons said...

Having been steeped in these designs since childhood, I am off to see the collection next week. My grandparents all came from Gasconade, Cooper and Howard counties in Missouri. Several of the chairs you shot photos of gave me acid flashbacks to homes and people I miss daily.

Anonymous said...

So glad they have moved back. . . I've really missed them.

Judi

Karena said...

I will get down there to take a look. That long settee is beautiful.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Locust Hill Dolly said...

My angel & I joked that our love for Missouri antiques just might be the only thing we had in common next to our love for each other!

MJH Design Arts said...

I love early American country pieces--I hope that this area of antique furnishings will start to make a come-back among design professionals. Be well. Mary

Gail, in northern California said...

Forgive me but this has nothing whatsoever to do with today's post but not too long ago you were kind enough to send us to Jennifer C. Webb's blog and you really MUST revisit her site yourself for "Bad Haircut". It's a charmer.
http://www.jcwebbstudios.com/2012/02/you-might-be-jerk-if.html