Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book Week - Nicky Haslam's Folly de Grandeur


I have a friend who says that you find your clothing style in college and never really change it.  I'm glad to say that while I was once a fan of jean jackets and stirrup pants they have not reappeared in my wardrobe since graduation.  Oh, also no denim mini-skirts, though I did have a doozy back in the day.


But I did love chintz, need chintz, surround myself with chintz and that has never changed.  In or out, thumbs up or down, I always seem to have a little (or a lot) hanging around.


You won't be surprised to know that I adore Nicky Haslam's new book Folly de Grandeur.  It lived in my car for weeks at the ready for any brief or extended idle.


Painted walls, chipped furniture, hand-dotted brackets and needlepoint, needlepoint, needlepoint.  I love every page.  Haslam's own words make it a treasure.


You can find Folly de Grandeur here.

4 comments:

Simply Grand said...

Thanks for the heads-up on a book I'll need to get. In the good old days, it was easy to distinguish between good design books and those that were merely well-produced bits of decorator fluff, because if it was the latter, Marilyn Hasbrouck down at the Prairie Avenue Bookshop didn't stock it. If you bought a book from her, you couldn't go wrong. Since she retired, I've had to buy online, and I can't tell you how many worthless books I've bought, where it was all downhill as soon as I opened the handsome cover. And I mean I literally can't tell you how many I bought, because they were so bad--like high school term papers with glossy pictures--that I had to give them away. Otherwise, every time I'd open one to give it one more chance, I'd get angry all over again.

If you say a book's the real deal, that's good enough for me.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh I'm dying to get my hands on this book, lucky girl.....I still have so many others sent to me to review that I don't dare buy any because I'll never get the 'work' done!

penelopebianchi said...

Hi there!

In my opinion; your friend is wrong about clothes for everyone!!! (Lord have mercy!!) Fortunately; for us! Whew!!

Decorating is a whole different story! I READ (there were few pictures.....just the ones she painted with her words) "The House in Good Taste" by Elsie de Wolfe when I was 12! Chintz was my friend......her words I felt were poured into my heart! Honestly.

My mother (I was gifted with the mother from heaven!!) gave me this book in 1959 (I was 12!!)

I read it non-stop. I did not put it down. I swear. One sitting.

(My first thought on completing it.....was.."Wow! This is a job???) I could do this? and then....I know how to do this!!!"

Don't ask me how I had that confidence.....but I can only think of my mother! She told me!!

It sure has been the most wonderful career!! (There weren't too many in Los Angeles during this time.)

I started completely by "the seat of my pants" after I graduated from USC as an English major.....

the passion has not left me for an hour! Not even 15 minutes!

Then she told me: "you have a photographic memory! few people do! You are so good at rearranging furniture! (most six year-old don't!)

This is something you would love to do!! And you will be good at it!"

What an enormous gift! And here, 43 years later!

I started completely by "the seat of my pants" after I graduated from USC as an English major.....and it has been a lifetime joy and passion!

I am so grateful!

Yikes!
I love your blog; I love your posts!

The "bogosphere" is such a gift to all of us!

Tara Dillard said...

Went to bed with it last nite.

And it was driving around in my car to jobs before that !!

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara